[extropy-chat] Many worlds and Hugh Everett

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Dec 30 15:31:49 UTC 2003

There is a new online biography of Hugh Everett, the man who started the
many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics at
http://www.hep.upenn.edu/~max/everett/ . One thing I didn't know was that
Everett's daughter believed in it and killed herself because she thought she
would be living in a better parallel world with her father. Apparently she
thought if all the unhappy versions of herself died her consciousness would
remain only in the happy ones. There may be a certain amount of logic to
that but before you do something that drastic you had better be very very
sure the theory is correct. I don't know about you but I'm not THAT certain.

John K Clark     jonkc at att.net