[extropy-chat] Spam

Tue Dec 30 23:22:28 UTC 2003

Robert J. Bradbury wrote,
> No sooner are the words out of my mouth -- checking my
> messages from yesterday that got through my combination of
> spambouncer (rule-based filtering) and spamprobe (Bayesian
> filtering) and I find a message that has a text portion with
> ~100K of English text discussing Darwin, Wallace, evolution,
> finches, etc. and a HTML portion that contains the damn SPAM
> for debt consolidation.  Interesting I had trained spamprobe
> to treat it as SPAM and the keywords that show up as SPAM
> indicators include things like "finches".

A worse example is our former Pro-Act site at
<http://www.ProgressAction.com> which has been taken over by spammers.  They
replicated the previous content about Pro-Act with spam inserted throughout.
This is already a common technique.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,