[extropy-chat] "The Spike" - Raymond Kurzweil

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 1 19:44:11 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:15:36PM -0600, Damien Broderick wrote:

> *Obviously* computer bang for buck, etc, has been increasing pretty much as
> Ray charts so usefully in the essay cited. This is the very basis of the

Actually, that's not at all obvious, if we're looking at computer
performance, not integration density (which Moore is all about). Integration
density is real, but it's a potential performance, until it results in
real-world traction. This is this not exactly obscure STREAM benchmark thingy:

	http://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/

which shows this neat little semi-log plot:

	http://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/stream_logo.gif

Even then: CPU speed is not integration density, and STREAM memory bandwidth
is still a synthetic benchmark. A lot of AI code candidates will perform at <<10% of
peak. This is the really really really bad news to notorious optimists.

So, yes, a lot of how people view Kurzweil results in bogus claims.

ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org