[extropy-chat] why so low?

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Mon Nov 3 08:44:23 UTC 2003

Spike wrote:
> Dog whistles and cat-B-gone screechers emit sounds
> that are above the human hearing range.  I have some
> deer alerts on my bike that also emit a sound higher
> than can be heard by humans.  They supposedly work
> on mooses, (meese?), elk and their ilk too.
> Can someone please explain why the human hearing
> range is so low?  Is it the lowest of all the beasts?

It most likely has something to do with the size of our heads.

The distance between our ears is decisive in how we can percieve
direction. This is due to the wavelength of the lower frequencies.

Big headed elephants percieve directions of sounds at much lower
frequencies than us. The sounds they produce are also have many low
frequency components.

I am not really aware that it work that way for higher frequencies. But
most likely it does.

regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark