[extropy-chat] SPAM: ISPs get serious

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Nov 4 15:05:07 UTC 2003

Interesting.  In Sweden, the primary ISP (Telia) will now
start blocking internet access for systems that have been
corrupted by trojans that are sending SPAM.

Thus one of the most liberal countries in the world is
effectively adopting a policy that you don't get to pee
in the public fountain.

Telia blocks computers that send spam
http://presstjanst.telia.se/press/Article.jsp?category=81&selected=2&article=3700

Worth asking oneself -- Do you have a computer running Microsoft software
that connects naked to the net?  (i.e. via dial-up, cable, satellite,
etc. without going through a firewall).  If so have you installed *all* of
the various security patches Microsoft has distributed for your O.S.?  If
not, and you are not running very robust virus/worm detection software
then you are part of the problem -- and are behaving in an unextropic
fashion because you have no idea whether or not your system may be
compromised.

I had it happen to me (my laptop was once hijacked by some hackers
in Eastern Europe in an attempt to win some distributed computing
contest).  It can happen to you as well.

R.