[extropy-chat] Eno in 1st Long-term Thinking seminar of the Long Now Foundation

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Nov 4 14:54:37 UTC 2003

(I saw a reference to this on the Boing-boing site.
I would go to this if I  could be in Bay area at this time.
-- Amara)

The next speaker, November 14, will be Brian Eno.

"On Nov. 14 Brian Eno launches in San Francisco Long Now's series of
Seminars About Long-term Thinking, free to the public. At 7pm at
Fort Mason every second Friday, the series will include futurist
Peter Schwartz, Apollo astronaut Rusty Schweickart, biologist Daniel
Janzen, Laurie Anderson, Danny Hillis, George Dyson, and Paul
Hawken."

======================

The Long Now Foundation
http://www.longnow.org/

The Long Now Foundation was established in 01996** to develop
Clock and "Library" projects as well as to become the seed of a
very long term cultural institution. It has been nearly 10,000 years
since the end of the last ice age and the beginnings of civilization.
Progress lately is often measured on a "faster/cheaper" scale. The
Long Now Foundation seeks to promote "slower/better" thinking
and to foster creativity in the framework of the next 10,000 years.

======================

http://www.longnow.org/10klibrary/Seminars.htm

The scheduled speakers so far are as follows:

2nd Fridays in 02003
    Nov. 14 - Brian Eno
    "The Long Now"

    Dec. 12 - Peter Schwartz
    "The Art of the Really Long View"

2nd Fridays in 02004
    Jan. 9 - George Dyson
    "There's Plenty of Room at the Top: Long-term Thinking
    About Large-scale Computing"

    Feb. 13 - James Dewar
    "Long-term Policy Analysis"
    (Dewar is head of RAND's new Pardee Center on very
    long-term policy---35 to 200 years)

    Mar. 12 - Rusty Schweickart
    "The Asteroid Threat Over the Next 100,000 Years"

    Apr. 9 - Daniel Janzen
    "It's ALL Gardening"
    (Janzen is the famed preservation biologist based in Costa Rica)

    May 14 - David Rumsey
    "Mapping Time"
    (see his dazzling http://www.davidrumsey.com)

======================

http://www.longnow.org/about/about.htm

The Long Now Foundation GUIDELINES: (for a long-lived,
long-valuable institution)

1. Serve the long view (and the long viewer).

2. Foster responsibility.

3. Reward patience.

4. Mind mythic depth.

5. Ally with competition.

6. Take no sides.

7. Leverage longevity.

Amara Graps, PhD
Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario, INAF - ARTOV,
Via del Fosso del Cavaliere, 100, I-00133 Roma, ITALIA
tel: +39-06-4993-4384       |fax:  +39-06-4993-4383
Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it  | http://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/dustgroup/~graps