[extropy-chat] A job for me?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 4 17:41:15 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:09:59PM -0500, John K Clark wrote:

> I don't think speech recognition is trivial, in fact I don't think computers
> will get really good at it until they develop some understanding of what is
> said. Even a human would have difficulty distinguishing "I scream" from "ice

Yes, but phoneme streams -> word streams -> meaning ambiguities can be simply
resolved by natural language processing system forming hypothesis and asking
the user in natural language which one she really means. In fact, this simple
technology is currently making a lot of telephonist clerks jobless (it
eliminates >90% of a typical service call).

I agree it takes a real AI to resolve such ambiguities without resorting to
lots of grilling the user.

> cream" if they didn't understand the context the remark was said in. The
> same is true about machine translation, when they get good at that the era

An interactive machine translator using above work-arounds could also avoid
having to pass a Turing test to work.

> of AI will have arrived.  By the way Eugen, I wish you wouldn't send
> attachments to the list, they're inconvenient and that's the way people get
> viruses.

Actually, these are digital signatures in RFC 2015 and 3156 standard. They're
there to verify that this message is indeed from me, and not a spoof by
somebody else or a virus/worm. You seem to be using MS Outlook, a MUA
notorious of ignoring Internet standards.

See <http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/gpg-signed-mail.html>
for lots more.

Here's a list of mailers with RFC 2015/3156 support:

	http://www.spinnaker.de/mutt/rfc2015.html

I'm not sure whether this plugin for Outlook

	http://www3.gdata.de/gpg/download.html

will fix your mail client, but it's worth a try.