[extropy-chat] ILE: life just got a little more complicated

Reason reason at exratio.com
Wed Nov 5 06:31:42 UTC 2003

Smigrodzki

> --- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:
> > The net result of this (and other efforts) to make organ
> > transplants safer, more effective, cheaper, etc. will be
> > to strengthen the arguments of those who desire that organ
> > donation be made mandatory.
> >
> > Now, mandatory organ donation would be extropic if (a)
> > one did not ever under any conditions wish to be
> > reanimated; or (b) whether people were comfortable with
> > head/brain-only preservation and the reconstruction of a
> > body if one so desired.  However without one of those two
> > criteria being satisfied it would seem that mandatory
> > organ donation would be a fundamental violation of
> > personal rights.
> >
> > It would appear that we are on a road where at least some
> > states may confiscate parts of your remains to preserve
> > the lives of others whether you feel this is reasonable
> > or not.

Two points:

1) The current organ transplant situation (i.e. shortages, lack of research
on making things safer, cheaper, etc) exists because the government outlaws
trade in organs; i.e. sets the value of an organ to zero. With no financial
incentive to give up organs (either before or after death), people don't.
With less financial incentive to improve the technology associated with the
current system, people don't. If you want to improve the system, get rid of
existing dumb legislation; don't layer more dumb legislation on top...a cry
into the void, but there you have the truth of it. Actions follow market
incentives; no incentive, no action.

2) We've been heading down the road to the state owning your body for quite
the while. How can the legislature put in place any law that regulates what
you can do to yourself, with yourself, by yourself (e.g. drugs, body
modification, suicide, organ donation, etc, etc, etc) without the
presumption of ownership of your body?

Reason
http://www.exratio.com/