[extropy-chat] Depressing thought of the day

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Wed Nov 5 10:42:18 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 23:11, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Ones and zeroes.  We can see them completely and clearly; the entire realm
> is absolutely under our control; it is a world that we built and that runs
> entirely on our rules.

Uh, the world includes *us* and many of us are not good little digital
citizens at all.   *We* use these digital tools and thus *we* are what needs
some control, not the simple world of 1's and 0's  (not that it is very so
simple either).

And no, the world of programs itself does not run entirely on our rules or at
least we have very imperfect understanding of the implications and
interactions of the rules we thought to impose with one another and the world
they are embedded within.

> Destroying the intruder is as easy as making the
> decision.

Hardly.  First you must determine what is and is not an intruder.  This is
non-trivial.   Then you must determine what is the appropriate amount of
destruction or other action to acheive the desired result with a minimum of
side-effects.  OOPS, I left out that you must formulate with some clarity
what the goal state is.

> And yet we still can't get rid of spam.
>
> Active shields against grey goo?  Yeah, right.

Actually, handling spam is not an implausible warm-up exercise.

- samantha