[extropy-chat] Rick's Text

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Wed Nov 5 16:38:10 UTC 2003

rick wrote:

> http://home.centurytel.net/rickw/aonl.htm
>
> "an enticing tale of the possibilities of transhumanism" it also
> outlines much of what I call scientific atheism.

I've read it. Though... and... and of course... it was still a nice
little read.

I liked the confrontational aspect of it, and the child's agressivity in
chapter 2. I thought it was quite funny.

Of course, the whole atheism thing would have meant more to me when I
was 14. Since that time, it stopped being a hot topic to me. I guess it
means more to you in the US, where belief is still the norm.

Here's a bit of personal experience, very much contrary to the one of
your main character. My parents were believers (father protestant,
mother catholic), but eager to make me independent from them and always
respectful for and interested in my own beliefs and ideas (of course, I
am still a bit angry at them that they would pour such nonsense in my
head when I was a child). With time and discussions, they became
atheist, too (so I redeemed them :-).

Jacques