[extropy-chat] immigration into Sweden

Randy S cryofan at mylinuxisp.com
Wed Nov 5 18:37:30 UTC 2003

Spike wrote:
"Last Saturday at a dinner party, a Swedish friend
commented that Sweden was having a huge immigration
of middle easterners.  I asked if there is a
movement afoot to do street signs in both Swedish
and Arabic, like we have both English and Spanish
in many Taxifornian cities.  He seemed rather
annoyed with that innocent question.  Anders, what
did I say?  Whats up with that?  "

Sweden and other western european welfare states started to take in lots of
African and muslim immigrants over the last decade. Then they discovered
what many researchers are starting to discover--people trust each other more
and cooperate better if they look the same and less if they look different.

Plus it did not help that the vest majority of the immigrants were on
welfare-unemployment. This phenomenon caused a rollback of the welfare
state. For example, Swedish unemployment went from 90% of salary to 75% of
salary soon after the surge in immigration.