[extropy-chat] ILE: life just got a little more complicated

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Thu Nov 6 00:07:41 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> Don't know what state or country you live in. Last time I checked, the
> 14th Amendment was clearly interpreted by SCOTUS as saying that you own
> yourself: no slavery, peony, or indenturement allowed. It is a well
> settled matter of probate law that the deceased's wishes about disposal
> of their body are paramount, and if the deceased does not explicitly
> say so, their next of kin, NOT the state, has the right to dispose of
> the body. [snip].

Mike, these are important points -- points which should be well
documented in public forums, easily available.  That means
some combination of something like a google search as well
as a law database search.  The trick would be to get such
information near the top of the list in both forums.

It doesn't do us a lot of good if only a very limited number
of people are aware of the knowledge base.  One has to,
by "self-interest" generated reasons force the knowledge
into the public awareness.

I tend to support the free-state concept.  But at the same time
I am realistic enough to recognize that the masses can easily
crush a free-state or a free-island until such time that
technology might make that extremely difficult.  If that is
an accurate foreview then you are attempting to solve a
political problem before you have the technological means
to accomplish your goals.

That seems foolish.
R.