[extropy-chat] ILE: life just got a little more complicated

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 6 00:54:51 UTC 2003

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
> > --- kevinfreels at hotmail.com wrote:
> > > Can we get together and buy an island to do all
> this
> > > research on?
> >
> > Say we could do this.  How then do we convince the
> > researchers - and the companies that employ them -
> > move to said island, without bankrupting what
> minimal
> > resources we'd have available on the island or
> > invoking
> > military action from certain foreign powers?
>
> Simple: make it a research resort, with centerfold
> lab assistants,
> beachside laboratories (surf while your experiment
> incubates), and NO
> management allowed.... they would pay to stay in
> such a place...

Something along those lines is certainly tempting.
But would management pay them?  And if not, who would?

Plus, would we need regular psych tests every so often
to make sure the researchers keep their "research is
better than everything else" mindsets, so we can trust
them to keep researching even with all these
distractions?

(I know, the suggestion may have been in jest.  But I
think it's a problem potentially worth solving - and
that suggestion, humorous or not, is pretty close to
the best answer I've been able to come up with so
far.)