[extropy-chat] Scientific standards of evidence

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Thu Nov 6 07:06:12 UTC 2003

R.Coyote wrote:

> I "knew", I anticipated that he would return, after 10 + years to gone.
>
> I suppose I could produce police records, hospital records, etc. take a
> polygraph and pass,  but cant be bothered ast some people "here" are as
> narrow minded as some Religious Fundamentalists (Satan did it) , in that if
> it doesn't fit their world view,   It cannot be true. (it was a
> hallucination, he's a liar, its a hoax etc.)

You think of somebody you know, and have thought about frequently. One
of the times he shows up at your house.

Now is that random coincidence or is it a sign of supernatural powers?

Using Occams razor I would guess the first. And that doesn't take a
closed mind, only reason.

I sometimes have Deja-Vu and it feels eerie and real, but I don't
believe that I really have experienced the events before. It's just my
mind playing tricks.

I am also shure that the most of us have experienced anxiety/panic
attacks. Those would seem like a pretty strong precursor to something
bad happening. But it never does. But if somebody has one, and then
heard that a family member had died, he would certainly couple the two
things together. He would be certain that he had a bad "vision".

It's called cognitive Ressonance. The problem is that we don't report
the negatives. So they don't show up.

If we did science the same way, we would be able to prove allmost
anything, as only experiments that showed positives would be published.
That is exactly one of the problems of the meta analysis' that are done
in the supernatural fields.

regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark