[extropy-chat] Scientific standards of evidence

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Thu Nov 6 12:29:32 UTC 2003

Mitchell Porter wrote:

> Eliezer said
>
>> It doesn't matter whether the explanation I gave is correct.  There's
>>  no ESP in the universe, no paranormal phenomena, no gods, no demons.
>>  It's just us within the laws of physics.
>
> There is no rational necessity for such dogmatism, especially when (i)
> today's standard-issue laws of physics already contain a mechanism for
> nonlocal correlation,

(Disagree; Everett.)

> and (ii) anomalous coincidences are a very common experience.

*Coincidences* are a very common experience.  The Bright Hypothesis is
that there has not been one single *anomalous* coincidence in the entire
history of the universe to date.

> Considerations of human irrationality cut both ways here.
>
> I recommend the following essay by C.D. Broad:
> http://www.ditext.com/broad/rprp.html

Note, incidentally, the credence in Rhine's data, which was later
debunked, and other data which repeated experimentation failed to
replicate.  Yet another success for the Bright Hypothesis.  It takes great
daring to stand by your principles in the teeth of early data, but to do
so and succeed is a tremendously impressive accomplishment for a theory.

The Bright Hypothesis has triumphed over anecdotes, public wisdom,
overeager researchers, wishful thinking, and outright experimental fraud.
  It is one damn strong hypothesis.

> None of Broad's principles are logical necessities. They are all
> hypotheses. Furthermore, we know how to build physical models which
> violate the principles in the first category (quantum nonlocality,
> closed timelike curves), which means that we can describe, in the
> abstract, material cognitive systems which violate principles from the
> second and the fourth categories. Even if a Bayesian reasoner only
> considered mathematical models already devised by human beings, it
> would have to assign a nonzero probability to the reality of paranormal
> phenomena (and not just in the form of a world-as-simulation
> hypothesis).

Yes, that we live in a magic-free universe is a hypothesis.

It happens to be an overwhelmingly supported hypothesis, and I am willing
to put my weight down on it, and to wield it as my understanding.

The weight of the alternatives is not zero.  It is small enough that,
confronted with supposed anomalous coincidences, I am willing to deny the
data, as history suggests will turn out to be the correct course of
action.  I deny the data openly rather than covertly, so that I can keep
track of what it is I have denied.  For example, I earlier denied the data
on an experiment purportedly showing 50% recovery rates for prayed-for
patients versus 25% recovery rates for un-prayed-for patients: as I
commented at the time, a nice non-marginal result, blatant effect size,
and clear and straightforward claim, far healthier for debate than all the
marginal claims of conventional psychic science.  Of course, as the Bright
Hypothesis predicts, the study failed to replicate; and so that is one
more denial off the stack and one more triumph of the Bright Hypothesis.

History shows that the Bright Hypothesis is stronger than anecdotes and
early experiments.  Needless to say, not even the Bright Hypothesis would
be stronger than an experiment with a non-marginal effect size and
non-marginal statistical significance that replicated several times in the
teeth of surveillance by professional magicians.  Needless to say, I
predict, wielding the Bright Hypothesis as my understanding, that no such
experiment will ever occur.  I can take my weight back off the Bright
Hypothesis, given a damn good reason to do so; no such reason has been
forthcoming, and on the Bright Hypothesis none ever will.