[extropy-chat] Depressing Thought. from Laurence of Berkeley

LaurenceofBerk at aol.com LaurenceofBerk at aol.com
Thu Nov 6 08:54:04 UTC 2003

    Extropians, who are, as far as I can tell from the web, libertarians or
even Ayn Randians, are no help in ridding the cyberworld of spam.  Spam is
generated by corporations and can be restricted only through goverment action.
    The problem of spam is only one small example of the fantasy world
inhabited by libertarians.  They, and their Rebublican fellow travellers, and the
Extropian ideologists, tell us, and themselves, that they would like to liberate
the human spirit by reducing monolithic oppression.  Excellent plan.  The
delusion, however, comes from supposing that oppressive power comes from
government.  At certain times and places yes.  But not in 21st century America.  Here
our spammers, our spies, our hoarders of patents and information, our
monolithic media, our traffic jams, our pollution - I could go on indefinitely - come
from the corporate world, which also finances our politics.
    So hooray for life extension, intelligence enhancement, super learning
and space travel, but please, extropians, lose the libertarianism.  It's just a
convenient smokescreen for the real  powers that be.

PS  Is this how I reply?  When I click on "reply" it produces an addresses
too long for my mac to send.