[extropy-chat] VR-BAR: Harv's back!

Fri Nov 7 04:26:58 UTC 2003

ABlainey at aol.com wrote,
> Welcome back Harvey, That is some serious list of credentials you
> have amassed. Congrats on the latest.

Thanks.  I am seriously interested in security.  I am analyzing security as
an engineering problem with requirements, standards, principles,
methodology, and verification.  Most security consultants don't have the
scientific or engineering background to do more than be consumers of other
people's security products.  I also am trying to cover all the different
kinds of security.  Creating security, auditing security, managing security,
assessing security, consulting about security, and operating security are
different skills.

What is interesting to me is that security is not an end in itself.  It is a
tool that can be used for any endeavor, just like logic, the scientific
method, etc.  Security measures a bunch of different attributes, how well
they are implemented, the risk of failure, and improvement methods for
success.  There are standard requirements for security, and a bunch of
different security attributes that can be analyzed and addressed separately.

I think these security methods can be applied to transhumanist endeavors,
such as developing AI, controlling nanotechnology, mitigating dangerous
technologies, evaluating knowledge accuracy, etc.  I plan to further
investigate these ideas in the future.  Getting credentials in different
types of security is just the first step.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,