[extropy-chat] HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles

scerir scerir at libero.it
Fri Nov 7 13:25:54 UTC 2003

"The Avantguardian"

> How can some really bright people claim to understand the universe so
> completely that there is nothing eerie, anomolous, or mysterious
> about it [...]

Well, I do not think so. In example Glashow says:
"I don't have the hubris to imagine a theory of everything.
I think that we scientists are seeking an understanding of the natural
world. We come in various types -- chemists and physicists and biologists
and such -- and we all have the same goal. We are making progress.
The theories we have today of life and chemistry and physics are much
better than they were ten years ago. And ten years from now they will be
better still.I don't know what it means to understand the process of nature
perfectly. I don't know what a theory of everything could be. Is it a series
of formulas? How could that be?"

more at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/view-glashow.html