[extropy-chat] Voyager 1 (possibly) at the boundary of the Solar System

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sat Nov 8 18:18:23 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Alex Ramonsky (and Amara(?)) wrote:

> >> There are some indications now that the Voyager 1 has reached
> >> the Heliopause.
> >>
> >> If this isn't  a reason for a massive party/celebration
> >> of the humans on this planet, I don't know what is....

I concur.  Voyager 1 was launched September 5, 1977 [1].
I was almost 21 years old at the time.  I am 47 now.
That satellite has been traveling and operating literally
my entire adult life.

> I was halfway there, dammit, is this party happening at the edge of the
> universe or what? I can't afford this sort of fuel every day you know.
> ...I bet you _everybody_ brings potato salad.

The Far Side party is scheduled but there is a minor problem with
getting Keith Henson out of Canada and whether or not Perry Metzger
will attend.  However given the probable date (current era + 80000 years)
I am reasonably certain that potato salad will not be the major dish
that people bring.  So at least we are safe on that count.

R.

1. http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/planets/captions/voyager/voy06.htm