[extropy-chat] HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sat Nov 8 22:41:37 UTC 2003

At 02:26 PM 11/8/2003, Damien wrote:

> [...]

Much like the question:

What caused the first event?

This always comes up in discussing the "cosmological argument" in
philosophy of religion. Students were always puzzled at first why it was
that, if you assume that there *was* a first event, it makes no sense to
ask "what caused it?"

"You mean: What came before the first thing to make it happen?"

"Yeah, exactly."

"You mean: What came before the FIRST thing to make it happen?"

"Right, right."

[Pregnant pause]

"You mean: What came BEFORE the FIRST thing to make that FIRST thing happen?"

"Yeah, yeah... oh, wait... ahhh"

That's how it usually went.

Max

Max More, Ph.D.