[extropy-chat] Politics and possessing the right ISM

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 02:48:02 UTC 2003

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Brett Paatsch
> > Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Politics and possessing the right ISM
> >
> > To Adam (metaphorical), Eve was Eve, there was no other
> > Eve so there was no need for Eve-ism...
>
> What did Adam say the first time he saw Eve?
> "You better stand back, Honey, I don't know
> how big this thing is going to get."

Hey, now, Adam was just showing Eve he was an ism of one, too.

> {8^D
>
> > ...But dammit now I find that the damned "believing" meme is
> invading
> > here too...
>

> Ja, but all I mean when I say "I believe" is that
> I *think* this comment or notion is true, but I might
> be wrong and so I am open to further evidence and
> reasoning to the contrary.  Hmmm, perhaps you have
> a point there Brett, for this definition of "I believe"
> is almost exactly opposite to the religious definition
> of "I believe".

A product of modern rationality. "Belief" is taken as a less valid, an
unverified, guess or leap of faith, i.e. a working hypothesis but not
to be taken as a rule and open to further evidence and cross
examination, as opposed to "knowing".

Perhaps there needs to be a distinctive term differentiating testable
beliefs versus untestable beliefs (perhaps 'guess' vs 'hope'???)

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey