[extropy-chat] Depressing Thought. from Laurence of Berkeley

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sun Nov 9 10:15:54 UTC 2003

On Saturday 08 November 2003 23:57, Spike wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 November 2003 18:49, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > > Still, I wonder what "the real power lies with corporations"
> > > means for libertarian beliefs.
>
> Corporations are collections of people making a living,
> creating wealth by making things, creating jobs and
> wellbeing.

>Corporations are our friends!

Corporations supported by major state power are no one's friend, including
their own.

>If real power
> lies with corporations, then real power lies with people
> working together to create wealth, which sounds good to me.

This is too simplistic.   Too many corporations are about making the maximal
money for their stock holders.  This is NOT synonymous with actually creating
wealth.   It is too often extracting the maximum number of dollars for the
least amount of effort and creativity.   It is often about suing into
oblivion anyone or any other corporation that actually dares to innovate.

-s