[extropy-chat] Transhumanism launched in Mexico

Jose Cordeiro jose_cordeiro at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 20:43:32 UTC 2003

Dear Extropian friends,

     I just came back from Mexico where I was invited by the World Future Society (Mexico Chapter) to modearate a panel about the future role of corporations. John Smart was also there, and we both gave a public talk broadcasted live to over 15.000 university students.

     While in Mexico City, I took the time to organize the first formal transhumanist meeting there. We were 10 people at a local restaurant last Saturday, November 8th: 4 media people (3 from technical magazines and 1 from radio), 1 economics student, 1 internationalist, 1 political scientist (but commie:-), 1 computer scientist, 1 high-school deputy director and me.

     All the participants were very interested: one came from a contact given to me by J. Hughes and the others were people who listened to the talks and presentations by John and me. One participant really surprised me when he gave a copy of his university thesis (just published by Universidad Iberoamericana, the most prestigious private university in Mexico City), which was about transhumanism and posthumanism. As incredible as it sounds, this young guy is really futurist, and now manages a maga! zine called WOW.

     We also started a Yahoogroup, where we have included a picture of the first meeting and the agenda and minutes of the reunion:

     Soon, there will be more information in our web page, and for those interested (who can read Spanish:-) you can se below the message I wrote to my Mexican friends this morning:-)

     Extropianilly yours,

     La vie est belle!

     Yosé

Muy estimad at s amig at s transhumanist at s mexican at s:

     Muchos saludos desde Venezuela. Estoy regresando a Caracas después de una encantadora semana en mi querido México. Un maravilloso viaje coronado con la creación del Capítulo Mexicano de la Asociación Transhumanística Mundial el pasado sábado 8 de noviembre en el VIPS del Angel de la Revolución.

     ¡Qué grupo tan preparado! Con un poco de todo: jovenes y menos jóvenes (incluyendo una encantadora abuela transhumanística, Alicia, y su joven nieto economista, Luis), ingenieros en computación (Ramiro), comunicadores sociales (Alejandra, Alfredo, Josué y Víctor), internacionalistas (Jorge), politólogos (Rodolfo), etc. Un excelente grupo con gente que conocía el movimiento transhumanista desde hace tiempo como Ramiro y el propio Alfredo que escribió su excelente tesis de grado en la prestigiosa Universidad Iberoamericana sobre el transhumanismo y el posthumanismo.

     Espero que esto sea apenas el comienzo de un futuro espectacular:-)

     Transhumanísticamente,

     La vie est belle!

     Yosé

La vie est belle!

Yosé (www.cordeiro.org)

Caracas, Venezuela, Americas, TerraNostra