[extropy-chat] Depressing Thought. from Laurence of Berkeley

Wed Nov 12 15:09:45 UTC 2003

Samantha Atkins wrote,
> With all due respect a lot of the dot-com-busts were not about greedy
> executives, at least not in the first instance.  The market
> itself, and those who maintained and pumped it, was at fault.  Most execs
at
> most attempted to cash in.  In actuality the game of the money investors
had to
> be played to produce at all, even if the game was insane.

You are right.  There were greedy venture capitalists, accountants and
auditing firms as well as the executives.  But my point that not all
corporations maximize value for stockholders still stands.  Too many of them
maximize value for somebody else besides the stockholder.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,