[extropy-chat] Social Implications of Nanotech

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Thu Nov 13 07:41:59 UTC 2003

Dan Clemmensen wrote:

> Curt's original observation can reduce the weight of a device
> dramatically: we no longer need
> screws, flanges, etc. to permit access. Furthermore, we can design de
> novo without worrying
> about how the part will be machined. It's amazing how severely the
> machining process
> constrains a design.

Also we need to make designs where each part has several function. When
you come to think about it, that is a very strong sign of a mature design.

Like when you look at the lights on a veteran car. It sits for itself
outside the body of the car. There are a lot of mechanics to hold just
the headlights. In modern cars it is integrated into the bodywork. So
the bodywork has more functions than in the olden days. And the car
lighter and cheaper to produce.

Another good example is all the functions of a human head. It is a
rather amazing and effective construction.
(hmm can you call something that has evolved for a construction?)

Nano will most likely take on the same evolution. First as discrete
componente coupled together, and then later on as integrated systems.

regards Max M