[extropy-chat] HISTORY: Solved & Unsolved Riddles

kevinfreels at hotmail.com kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 14 18:21:29 UTC 2003

Actually, it is a little bit of both. I have been doing research on the
development of bipedalism in our ancestors for a paper I am writing. I am
not a professional researcher, or a student (yet). I am doing this for
myself because it is the only way I can seem to organize my thoughts on this
topic.
The key word here is "generous" which to a professional academic might imply
thousands of hours. As a mortgage broker, my time for this type of activity
is limited. Ten to fifteen hours per week over the last three months is very
generous considering my schedule.

The statement is one of a preliminary conjecture that anticipates the
results of further study for this paper which I do not expect to complete
until the beginning of next year. All of my sources are referenced.

Considering the fact that for now, my time on this earth is limited, I did
not see it as prudent to use the above explanation in place of a rather
simple statement of "I believe there more factors involved than researchers
will ever be able to find evidence for." I was simply trying to make the
point that the entire process of the development of bipedalism as well as
other evolutionary developments is much more complex than many people think.
The fossil records simply do not give us enough information to pin such
developments to one or two causes.

I BELIEVE that most who read that post were able to understand that without
picking apart the statement to find out what I meant. Perhaps I could have
said that is was a conjecture or a preliminary finding.