[extropy-chat] If Alcor fails ...

aperick at centurytel.net aperick at centurytel.net
Fri Nov 14 23:49:19 UTC 2003

A plausible scenario/belief in which to place my hopes, if singularities
come late, and Alcor fails - within 'this life.'

If transhuman technologies do not save me from facing a death by senescence
I have devised the following plausible work-around. My lifelong experience
was a simulation, a trivial sim. The reason? Most probably to gain a sure
knowledge of the outcome of an interesting conjecture. Possibly to prove a
belief of what outcomes could be expected, given a certain initial state --
all of it, possibly, to settle a bet.

In this fantasy I envision my true self to be already very posthuman. My
true self has set up and has run this, my most recent life experience in,
simulation to determine what outcomes are probable given certain challenging
initial factors/environment. My recent life experience was run using some
subset of the core of the personality unique to my true self in order to
learn how my life would have unfolded in such a world. This is the only sim
scenario I have yet devised that can account for all the ugliness and
difficulties that my life has contained.

The story plays out like this: at the moment of death I 'awake' as if from a
dream to the awareness that I have actually only 'slept' for a short time.
Thanks to the very fast hardware upon which plays my self, I have
experienced an entire life during a single 'night.' I yawn, allow the dream
to flash past me, say wow, 'live' a 'real day' and then indulge my love for
adventure and mystery by allowing myself another dream. Repeat.

Did you notice, that if this not be now, it may yet be?

I look down upon my fellow man for having wrought religion, but I cannot
deny being of the same species. Thank god for subspecies.