[extropy-chat] Social Implications of Nanotech

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Sat Nov 15 18:36:05 UTC 2003

I promised Chris Phoenix that I'd post the latest version of my NNI
conference abstract.

Five Assumptions Underlying Radical Nanotech Scenarios
Future Economic Scenarios
Panel
2003 NNI Workshop on Social Implications of Nanoscience/Nanotechnology

Robin Hanson
George Mason University

If we can translate the technical descriptions of possible future nanotech
abilities into economic terminology, we can use formal economic models to
study the social implications of nanotech.  We should consider both
conventional nanotech scenarios and radical ones, such as described in
Unbounding the Future and Diamond Age.  Radical scenarios seem less likely
but have more severe social implications.  As a prelude to future modeling
attempts, I here try to identify five key assumptions to bridge the chasm
between conventional and radical nanotech scenarios.

1.  Atomic Precision:  Atom-scale manufacturing is feasible; we put some
atoms where we want.

Depending on how cheap this ability is, and which atoms, many new products
may be possible, including much cheaper computers, and perhaps medical
devices that float in our bloodstreams.

2.  General Plants:  General purpose manufacturing plants, using a limited
range of feedstocks, will displace most special purpose plants, like
general purpose computers have now displaced most special purpose signal
processors.  (This is mature "3D printing" or "direct manufacturing.")

As with computers, this requires that the efficiencies of special purpose
devices be overcome by the scale economies and lower design costs of
general purpose devices.  When transportation costs matter, products would
likely be made at the general plants nearest to each customer.

3.  Local Production:  Small general plants, located in or near homes,
dominate manufacturing.

This requires that production processes be almost fully automated, with
human intervention rare. Such high automation seems harder to design.  Here
costs of transportation and labor for manufacturing are mostly eliminated;
what remain are costs of design, marketing, regulation, feedstocks, and
rental of general plants.  As with PCs today, open source product design
and file sharing of stolen product designs could become issues.

4.  Over-Capacity:  Local general plants are so fast/cheap that they are
usually off, like PCs now.

For most products, the main marginal costs would be feedstocks and
marketing.  Fixed costs of design, regulation, and marketing would dominate
total costs, as with software and music today.  Like software and cable TV
companies that now offer a small menu of product packages to
price-discriminate via anti-correlations in item values, future consumers
might be offered a few lifestyle packages that cost most of their salary
and entitle them to designs for clothes, furniture, food, etc.  This would
require high concentration of or coordination by sellers of consumer good
designs.

5.  Self-Reproduction:  A local manufacturing plant can create a copy of
itself within a year.

This is one possible route to achieving over-capacity of local general
plants. This route, however, has the potential to give a large and sudden
cost advantage to the commercial or military power that first develops
achieves it.  How large an advantage depends on just-prior costs, and how
sudden depends on self-reproduction time.  Self-reproducing military or
terrorist weapons become a concern.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323