[extropy-chat] hole in the triangle

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sat Nov 15 18:55:52 UTC 2003

> Fascinating!
> Can someone explain?
> Pietro Ferri

How to pinpoint the location of an artillery
gun, by means of a triangle, and make a hole
exactly there?

That was a major problem for our Alpini corps,
during WWI, in Alps and northern Italy, you
know, Pietro.

Well a triangle was extremely useful.
Actually by listening to the sound
of the shot from three different points !

The three observation points synchronize their
clocks to the second and then note the exact
second that they hear the gun's sound.

Then on a map of the battle field the three
points were plotted. Around the two points
where the sound arrived latest (the two
furthest from the gun) draw a circle whose
radius is the distance that sound travels
during the number of seconds since the sound
reached the first observation spot.

The location of the gun is at the center
of the circle that is tangent (on the outside)
to the two constructed circles and passes
through the first observation point.

Instead of drawing the first two circles
around the points where the sound arrived
latest one draws those circles around the
two points where the sound arrived earliest,
and the circle passing through the remaining
point is drawn as tangent on the inside
(instead than on the outside) to the first two
circles, one obtains as well the correct solution.

That's why we were so strong, in war, Pietro,
some decades ago :-)