[extropy-chat] Re: [wta-talk] Max More article on democracy and transhumanism

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Sun Nov 16 09:04:26 UTC 2003

I think we should make a difference here between the concept of democracy
and any specific mechanism for the application of the concept. Concerning
the concept itself: everyone should be involved in the management of the
community of which ve forms a part, I am just not going to give it up as it
is a central part of my worldview. Concerning specific mechanisms, I think
we are not doing too bad in most of the Western world, but of course there
may be better mechanisms.
For example, we have grown up saying that the model of direct democracy
(every citizen votes on every issue) breaks down when a community grows in
size and then the community must switch to representative democracy. This is
not necessarily true in a posthuman society where everyone has ver brain
permanently linked wirelessly to the global net. There for every decision to
be made you can google those (and only those) whose lives can be impacted on
by the outcome of the decision, and poll their input even without their
conscious involvement. This would be direct democracy on a global scale.