[extropy-chat] Atheist charities, or lack of

kevinfreels at hotmail.com kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 00:03:27 UTC 2003

I have a friend who is extremely religious, but is always willing to debate me rationally. (As rationally as a deeply religious person can)

One topic that recently came up in conversation was how much death and destruction has been caused by religion. He had nothing to say about this except for "there is no way we can know God's plan."

He admitted to christianity's shortcomings since "organized religion is run by mankind, and mankind has the capacity for evil"

He then proceeded to list the good things that the church does. Things such as feeding the poor, missionary work, and comforting people while they are in need. Things such as going to hospitals to minister to those who are "soon to leave this earth" and helping people pay for medical procedures that they would otherwise not be able to afford.

My wife has actually been fortunate enough to have about $10,000 worth of surgeical procedure paid for by a catholic charity that is involved with St Mary's hospital here, even though she is an atheist.

He then asked me how that compares with any atheist organization.

I had to admit I had no idea. I told him I would check into it and we would continue at a later time.

Does anyone know what, if any, charitable organizations there are that are atheistic in nature? I did a google on atheist charity and found almost nothing. I am a bit disturbed by this. This would be a terrific way to promote rational thinking. Am I missing something here? Or am I maybe sitting on a potentially rewarding career?