[extropy-chat] Depressing thought of the day

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 17 04:05:21 UTC 2003

Positive answers to five questions in the 1991 survey were strong indicators of
a "UFO abductee." These were (1) an hour or more of missing time, (2) seeing
unusual lights or balls of light in a room, (3) puzzling scars on their body,
(4) seen a strange figure (a monster, an alien, a devil) in their bedroom, and
(5) had a feeling of flying through the air. Only 18 people out of 5,947 people
surveyed had all five of these experiences, a 0.3 per cent of the sample. The
margin of error in the poll was +/- 1.4 per cent. Authors Hopkins, Jacobs, and
Westrum shifted their own goalposts to four positive answers. Now 119
respondents, two per cent of the sample, when extrapolated to the general
American population, represent 1.11 and 6.29 million people at the extremes of
the margin of error, or 3.7 million possible abduction experiences.

--
“Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress.” Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program