[extropy-chat] brain scans for racial attitudes

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 06:38:25 UTC 2003

> ...A racists' blood pressure might go
> up when shown pictures of blacks, indicating anger or discomfort, and
> distinct lack of reaction when shown a picture of whites.  A
non-racists would
> have no such difference in reaction between races...

This assumes the racist is white, of course.

> ...Similar tests have been used to try detect
> discomfort at homosexuality, or to detect pedophiles.  Different
people
> will react to different pictures differently...

This is intriguing.  Since I heard of the test a few yrs
ago I have wanted to try it on myself, but I have
insufficient access to and expertise in real-time blood
pressure monitoring equipment, and have no idea where one
would get non-mainstream pornography.  I heard they
have some instrument that can be placed upon
the genitals to measure arousal, then they show
the test subject a range of materials to see what
turns them on, from which a profile can be
derived.  That would be cool!

I would want to keep my identity secret, however.
And this is *me* talking, Mr. Openness.  {8^D