[extropy-chat] Gods of Mars was "Mars probe marred"

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Tue Nov 18 10:37:43 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, The Avantguardian wrote:

>Hey Amara, I am curious, is Mars historically more dangerous to space
>probes than the other planets? Or is it just a bias effect because we
>have sent more probes there than elsewhere? Considering what I know about
>Mars' geography and climatic conditions, I would say it should be a
>cakewalk for most probes, compared to Venus' corrosive SO2 atmosphere and
>crazy temperatures.

Venus indeed eats space probes for lunch. If I remember correctly, the
number of probes the Russian sent before having some success must be
measured in dozens.

Most space probe failures happen exactly there - in space. Loss of
lubricants, flywheels stopping, computers going crazy because of
radiation, leaking fuel, etc. The "historical" probes (Vikings, Voyagers)
had 3x redundancy built in, while modern ones are somewhat cheaper :-)

Landing is more or less the only planet-related problem for a probe. If it
does not make a hole in the ground, it will work. Except on Venus, where
it will be melt and crushed by the atmosphere.

Ciao,
Alfio