[extropy-chat] Re: Harv's Explanation for Slow Progress

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 19 03:02:18 UTC 2003

Robert wrote:

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 5:39pm Brett Paatsch wrote:
>> [interjection - very reluctantly as this is off-topic again]
>[snip]
>
> [Robert]:
> "I will believe it"

> I'm sorry Brett but I have only briefly noticed some
> discussion on the "belief" topic.  Being occupied with
> the problems my data link provider has created (...
> oh yes lets decide to change DSL standards and not
> bother to tell our older customers... -- and you don't
> want to know how many hours it took to find this out).

Yeah I thought so  : )

> However I will simply state this.  I do not have a fine
> sensitivity for semantics in writing.  Verbal expression
> and the fine points of that art are not something that
> I am good at.  If I make points in a discussion it is
> generally based on depth of knowledge and not based on
> how I can craft an argument.  You are welcome
> to critique how I express myself but I warn you ahead
> of time -- it may not sink into this skull (not because
> I am opposed to it in any way -- simply because I don't
> have an internal system to represent it effectively).

I understand. I think amongst the uncommon skulls on this
list yours may be the more usual form even all these years
after the so called Enlightenment. I have been warned about
the difficulties of trying to heard cats, I guess I figured when
the cats were bright and I had their interest as well as mine
in mind, I should have been able to pull it off persuasively
or at least see the better argument come to the surface.
I guess not. The believing meme even on this list is stronger
than I am.

Pity. I really did think the consequences of a small voluntary
change would be good. Now I am beginning to think getting
people to voluntarily change their habits (which takes time
away from their agendas) is about as difficult as kick starting
a singularity. And it really does matter *where* or *why* one
tries to change the habit - resistance will be 'to the death'
everywhere. Bummer.

Regards,
Brett
[Developing a Cassandra complex - but just a simple one :-)]