[extropy-chat] Re: Harv's Explanation for Slow Progress

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Wed Nov 19 10:58:37 UTC 2003

Brett Paatsch wrote:

> I've made (or tried to make) the
> point to Spike, to Harvey, to Jacques and to others. Spike, Harvey
> and Jacques seems either not have got it or to have disagreed
> and decided not to voice their reasons for disagreement.

Not true. I have voiced some reasons. You responded by a message
extremely long, not devoid of some arrogance (speculating among other
things that I might not be mentally equipped to understand the
opportunity of your crusade) and -- which is even more amusing given the
circumstance -- showing signs of impatience. Some of your arguments I
found embarrassingly bad. I felt you didn't understand mine and didn't
care to try to understand them. In fact, I felt you were not engaged in
rational discussion but in a heavy, naive and boring attempt at
manipulation, using all the apparatus of -- sorry Brett -- the True
Believer in some vision supported by no evidence and linked to personal
history ("you can grow out of it", "you cannot understand it now but you
will see [the light?]", "I want it out of circulation!", etc.). These
are not very good conditions to pursue a discussion in which one sees no
stake (but is willing to stay open for some time as a matter of
principle and good will). Maybe you have decided to eradicate desire as
well from your psychological ontology, but I need some of that to keep
discussing, as well as a reasonable hope (probably on the taboo list,
too?) that the discussion might be fruitful.

I may give another shot at it soon, but I am a bit busy right now.

Jacques