[extropy-chat] Human Evolution

bradbury bradbury at blarg.net
Wed Nov 19 22:00:26 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:41pm The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
I found an interesting trail of references to an alleged manpanzee named Oliver.

> http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf110/sf110p06.htm

Interestingly, the reference cited --
Holden, Constance; "'Mutant' Chimp Gets a Gene Check," Science, 274:727, 1996.
I cannot find in PubMed.

I cannot view the Science web site abstract.  But the
topic of the article seems reasonable -- *what* precisely
is the chromosome structure for "Oliver"?  If indeed he
is some form of a human-chimpanzee combination then it
would suggest that my previous comments regarding the
difficulty of producing offspring with different
chromosome numbers may be less than I would have
thought.

Robert