[extropy-chat] Human Evolution

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 20 00:56:22 UTC 2003

Duane Hewitt wrote:

> The mystery has been solved
>
> Check http://www.n2.net/prey/bigfoot/creatures/olivera.htm
>
> Paper
> Ely, J.J., Leland, M., Martino, M., Swett, W., and Moore, C.M., 1998.
> Technical report: chromosomal and mtDNA analysis of Oliver.
> American Journal of Physical Anthropology 105(3): 395-403.

The apparent facts of the matter.

> "Our results indicate that Oliver is a member of the Pan troglodytes
> troglodytes subspecies from Central Africa, has 48 normal chimpanzee
> chromosomes, and was likely trapped in Gabon. Full details behind our
> conclusions can be found in our report"
>
> Q.uote from page author who is a co-author on the paper of the genetic
> analysis of "Oliver"

The quietly post-fuss speculation on the route cause of all the interest and
sound and fury by the scientist (also a human) who looked into it.

> "I might add that, from what I have seen so far, those who really want to
> believe in highly intelligent, bipedal African man-apes ("Apamandi" and
> whatnot) who continue to elude field primatologists, the bushmeat market
> etc, will not be dissuaded by any amount of evidence. The persistence of
> these deeply-rooted beliefs, as psychological facts, are an interesting
> phenomenon in their own right."

Some days, all roads lead to Rome.

Deeply-rooted beliefs - as *psychological* facts...

Come back Carl Sagan you are needed the Demon Haunted world is
actually the belief-stricken world and we are busy believing ourselves
to death in our democracies.

Regards,
Brett