[extropy-chat] Human Evolution

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 01:30:54 UTC 2003

--- aperick at centurytel.net wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
> >Would you be creating a diminished, crippled human, or an empowered,
> >improved chimpanzee?
>
> But seriously, the existence of chimpan-mans would cause some
> problems for some folk, especially if any of them were fertile
> and cross-bred a second time with man. Would we still consider
> three quarter men chimps? We call persons afro-American if they
> have any demonstrable trace of black in them.
> How would religious folk explain such things? That may be worth
> seeing. ;:O)

Similarly, anyone who can demonstrate either 1/8th or 1/12th native
American ancestry can get a free ride at Dartmouth College. Of course,
dealing in fractions brings up nasty allusions to historical referents
like 3/5ths of a man from our slavery era.
I'm sure quotes like "you damn dirty ape" would become a popular snide
remark, and the Planet of the Apes movies and their costuming would be
considered tantamount to whitey putting on blackface.
Any Homo/Pan crossbreeds would obviously be horribly treated by common
society until sufficient numbers exist to demand their rights and
develop some articulate leaders.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark