[extropy-chat] Re: [wta-talk] Libertarianism and the Autistic Spectrum (fwd from fehlinger at un.org)

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu Nov 20 11:05:56 UTC 2003

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I discovered stuff on the Web that convinced me
> that a lot of folks in the Extropian/transhumanist community
> exhibit many of the characteristics of Narcissistic Personality
> Disorder (as described in DSM-IV)

<snip>

> However, it now seems to me that some of this atmosphere
> (and my perception of the atmosphere remains the same -- a smug,
> self-satisfied lack of empathy with people who don't share
> their particular hobby-horse -- and for that matter, a frequent
> lack of empathy with each other!) may be due
> to a concentration among this group (as with folks in SF fandom,
> the Trekkie world, the Role-Playing Game world, computer
> programmers, mathematicians, and science/
> engineering types in general) of a sub-clinical "shadow syndrome"
> of autism.  Not quite Asperger's Syndrome, even,
> just a mild echo of it.

Yeah right

And less than 5% of the worlds population are pshycologists and they
have a very similar psychological profile.

So they they are outside the normal distribution, and thus sick.

That's a stupid argument ... and so is his.

But naturally it is easier to dismiss people if if you can label them
with a mental disorder.

Personally I am glad, however, to belong to the diseased group of people
who created the majority of the worlds wealth and health.

regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark