[extropy-chat] warmer weather = better wine

kevinfreels at hotmail.com kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:00:21 UTC 2003

Message
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Spike
  To: 'ExI chat list'
  Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 10:17 AM
  Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] warmer weather = better wine

  > ...We really are all Africans, we can take the heat a
  > lot better than we can take the cold...  spike

  Actually Spike, recent DNA evidence has shown that
  most "westerners" are of central Asian descent.
  The central Asian climate can be very cold in
  the winter.  So your claim that we can take the
  heat better than we can take the cold may be
  on very swampy ground.  I suspect that some
  individuals may retain an African heat tolerance
  but that for many others the case is not true
  because we became adapted to other environments.
  You are dealing with a very complex question of
  how much energy humans consume and waste (through
  burning it) and it is *not* as simple as you suggest.

  Robert

  Ja, but that in itself brings up some interesting questions.
  The African shape is generally tall and willowy, whereas
  the central Asian is short and stocky.  For whatever
  reason, humans seem to have chosen the African build
  as the ideal of beauty.  Evidence: there are medications
  and treatments available to help people lose weight and
  to help people gain weight (which don't work, by the way).
  The weight loss products outnumber the weight gain by
  about 50 to 1, as a first order guess.

  People will soon evolve to be taller and thinner, just by mate
  selection.  spike

  I don't have the information in front of me, but it is my understanding that we have been growing taller on average for as long as we have records. Especially over the last several hundren years. Also, if I remember correctly, our body temperatures have been increasing a bit as well. I may be wrong on that though.