[extropy-chat] visualizing nanoscale

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Sat Nov 22 12:36:00 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 20:53, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 05:47:50PM +1000, Alejandro Dubrovsky wrote:
>
> > You could give Blender a try.  I haven't used it for rendering purposes,
>
> I'm very aware of it, but the UI is difficult for a novice.

There's an understatement.

> Also,
> I doubt I can dump the virus surface from VMD, and can import it
> into Blender.

I've never used VMD (couldn't even compile it just then, might try
harder later), but from the website it seems to be able to export in
VRML2 format which blender is (supposedly, my trial was a failure) able
to import.  It also claims to be able to export to renderman so you
could jump straight to trying one of those out (no idea about memory
requirements for these)

> The ray tracing is not a bottleneck, it's just a problem with full atomic
> detail virus capsids. Do you know the resouce requirements of any of
> these renderers:
>
> http://www.scripps.edu/brooks/WEB_new/vmd_userguide/node96.html
>
> ?

sorry, no idea.