[extropy-chat] Personal effectiveness

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Mon Nov 24 18:33:30 UTC 2003

Mike Lorrey a écrit (24.11.2003/07:59) :

> --- JDP <jacques at dtext.com> wrote:
> >
> > You know one great advice about this? Wash all the tools (and the
> > kitchen parts) you use in the preparation of the meal as part of
> > the meal preparation. If you are only left with what you used for
> > actually eating the meal, it is no big deal. The horror is to wash
> > the things in which you cooked things, etc. Wash these along the
> > way, and at the end of the preparation, before to eat the meal. If
> > they are still hot from the cooking, it's even easier to wash.
>
> Yeah, but by that time, the food is cold.

That's the typical reaction of course, when people are first exposed
to the counter-intuitive notion of washing-as-part-of-preparation. To
be sure, there *are* a few exceptions, things that you *must* put to
soak and have no time to wash (especially true if you are a bad cook
and things burn in the pan and get stuck). But in *most* cases, first
you can wash a lot *before* you have finished the preparation, then
the last things you can wash in seconds if you learn how to do it.

I won't claim to have invented this technique. I haven't. It was
taught to me by my father (my mother never mastered it, though). I can
even remember my initial mockery and resistance to the notion, and my
using that same fallacy of the-food-getting-cold. Recently, at least
one friend (possibly two, I would need to check) noticed my doing
this, was at first shocked and confused, and eventually ended up doing
the same at his place. It's a powerful technique, but it's not easy to
re-invent it independently as it seems impossible at first, and ruled
out by common sense. It's a whole new way of looking at dirty pans.

Jacques