[extropy-chat] fun in Russia with the new `capitalists'

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 16:35:15 UTC 2003

--- randy <cryofan at mylinuxisp.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:43:19 -0600, you wrote
>
> >http://www.nypress.com/16/45/news&columns/cage.cfm
> >
> >Robert or other informed Russophiles might care to comment on the
> accuracy
> >of this scorching piece.
> >

> Great article! This sentence from that article pretty much sums up a
> major portion of US foreign policy:
>
> "For a dozen years now, in that paper, anyone who disagreed with the
> neo-con laissez-faire corporate tribe aligned with U.S. interests has
> been a Soviet throwback."

Dunno, the writer has a definite axe to grind, nor is NY Press a very
objective source. Editor Jeff Koyen and company have been described as
having an "off-red" bias typical of self described 'alternative' media
sources.

>From the quoted statement alone, I see a bias. I don't think anybody
would categorize fascist Zhirinovsky as a "Soviet throwback", for
example.

The writer shows absolutely no sense of historical economic
perspective, and seems pissed that the US won the cold war. The USSR so
wrecked the economy in Russia that it is left in a 19th century state,
in which oligarchs seem to be a natural precursor to a developed economy.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey