[extropy-chat] Plastic promises dense data store

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 28 22:46:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:50:04AM -0500, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
> I just measured a standard 3.5" disk drive. It's just about exactly
> 300cc, including its
> PCB and connectors. You can buy a 350GB version, so yes, the density is
> already higher.

The density is relatively irrelevant (how much cool stuff could
you do with a rodent equivalent?), it's the latency (several ms vs
several ns of RAM, a factor of one million) and the bandwidth (some 0.1
GByte/s vs. 6 GByte/s, a factor of one thousand).

It would be nice to have a TByte of RAM, but it would be far
nicer still to have a 10^12 cell assembly, each capable of
a 10^10/s refresh (the individual switches now could do half
a THz).

But no can do with rotating bits, magnet domains.