[extropy-chat] Guns

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 18:10:10 UTC 2003

--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <gpmap at runbox.com> wrote:
> Here we are again Mike, we have been talking guns before. To restate
> my own opinion, nobody intends to take away your right to carry a
> weapon for self defense in some specific circumstances, but
> pleeeeease don't make such a big issue of it!!!

Firstly, I dispute this claim. THere are quite a number of people here
in the US, and even a few on this list, who think British victim
disarmament laws are just wonderful and need to be copied here, and
they have said so a number of times in the past, so much so that the
longest thread in this lists history was a massive troll assault by a
member of the Dees-Thomases clan (i.e. Southern Poverty Law Center,
Violence Policy Center, travel-gate central players, and advisors to
the Clinton power faction) against people like myself.

> A gun is just a piece of metal that can be used to shoot bullets at
> bad guys who want to do bad things to you. Sometimes carrying one
> can be a very reasonable thing to do, but a gun is not a central
> feature of anyone's identity, especially not a symbol of macho power.

I agree entirely, but must say that the myth of the gun proponent as a
macho-ist is a lie of the hoplophobic left. Try getting a bit more
informed about the real gun owning culture here before jumping to such
conclusions.

> My point against the
> permissive gun laws in the US is that they encourage any unthinking
> teenage redneck with sexual problems to carry one and make use of it.

Firstly, most states limit the ability of teenagers to obtain and/or
use firearms without supervision. Secondly, studies have shown that
teenagers who regularly use guns in family activities like hunting,
competetive shooting, etc. exhibit far fewer psychological problems and
far less criminal tendencies than the ritalin addled, video game and
MTV benumbed, goal-less couch potatoes one typically finds in a non-gun
owning household. Your stereotype is a myth, and a rather offensive one
at that, but I understand that it is one that the yellow-baiting
european press likes to promulgate with regularity, because being
prejudicial and racist against white country dwellers is entirely okay
in leftist circles....

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark