[extropy-chat] Humanity 2.0

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Sun Nov 30 21:25:38 UTC 2003

On 30 Nov 2003, at 20:23, Dirk Bruere wrote:
> Well, you nerds and misfits have done a good job but Transhumanism is
> now
> too important to be left to people like you. This is now a serious
> matter
> for the political, military and intellectual elite, so kindly take
> yourself
> off to some other loony fad please while your betters (who actually
> know
> about the real world) take it from your amateurish hands now that you
> are
> out of your depth.

Exactly my point. Insert [XXXX] for "Transhumanism", then replace
[XXXX] with any other snowballing phenomenon of the industrial age and
it's a perfect fit.

That's what happened to the internet. It's what happened to the
starry-eyed followers of Konstantin Tsiolkovsky. It's what the music
industry wants to do to the artists without whom they wouldn't even
exist. It's the rallying cry of every group of acquisitive scions of
the aristocracy as they move in on a promising new field that has
finally grown large enough to warrant the effort of breaking it to
harness.

I find the nexus of libertarianism with transhumanism fascinating these
days because the libertarians are, for the most part, outsiders to
mainstream society, and therefore handicapped when it becomes time to
bring  to bear on a project the large resources that the mainstream has
in its power to grant. Transhumanism is resource-intensive; it's not
something you can cook up in your kitchen, at least in the first
iteration of the technologies. It therefore seems to me that the first
overt users of intelligence amplification, uploading, genetic or
proteomic enhancements, prosthetic organs, or whatnot, will not fit the
political profile of the exi-chat list members. And how they use the
tools may bear little relation to how we would *like* to see them used.

(My pet phobia for this decade: the Panopticon Singularity. Now if only
Whole Earth Review would get unstuck from their current fiscal crisis
and publish their special singularity issue, I could maybe repost to
this list the full-length, un-shortened version of my contrarian essay
for WER ...)

-- Charlie