[extropy-chat] again with the gun stats

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 22:03:05 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 3:29 PM

> British Gun Crime Soars After Handgun Ban
> 2/25/2002
> Gun crime has almost trebled in London during the past year

The details:

< During the 10 months to January 31, there were 939 crimes involving
firearms in the Metropolitan Police area compared with 322 in the 10 months
to the end of January, 2001 - an almost three-fold increase. >

Wow! From 300+ to <1000! Shocking.

Note that these are not deaths. How does this compare with some other places
of comparable size? Inner London in 2001: 2,765,975, so maybe roughly
equivalent of US population would be 94,000 armed crimes; I can't be
bothered googling very far into this, but

http://www.vpcla.org/facts_firearms.htm

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) in 2000, 533,470
victims of serious violent crimes (rape and sexual assault, robbery, and
aggravated assault) stated that they faced an offender with a firearm.
- Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2002

I assume this means the offender held the gun.