[extropy-chat] Guns

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 22:34:24 UTC 2003

--- Don Dartfield <twodeel at jornada.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> > Secondly, studies have shown that teenagers who regularly use guns
> in
> > family activities like hunting, competetive shooting, etc. exhibit
> far
> > fewer psychological problems and far less criminal tendencies than
> the
> > ritalin addled, video game and MTV benumbed, goal-less couch
> potatoes
> > one typically finds in a non-gun owning household.
>
> I'd like to see a cite for any part of this.

Youth Violence Linked To The Media
7/26/2002
Four national health organizations have linked youth violence to
violent content in the media. They say that the content and marketing
of movies, T.V. and video games contributes to violent behavior by
youth.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/437705.asp

Britain And Australia Top U.S. In Crime

Gun control advocates have always claimed that America should model its
gun laws after those of other countries, particularly Britain and
Australia. A new international study reveals that those countries are
actually far more dangerous than the U.S.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=21902

The Media Over Reports Youth Crime

With today`s 24 hour news coverage, and the TV producer`s mantra "if it
bleeds it leads," the public`s perception of crime can be vastly
different than reality. A new report on media coverage and public
perception shows that the media over reports crimes committed by
youths, particularly crimes committed at school. The result is a public
perception that schools are unsafe, when the reality is that youth
crime is on the decline.
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A800-2001Apr10.html

"Murder rates for children, both as victims and as perpetrators, rose
rapidly between 1984 and 1993, but declined thereafter.  Virtually all
of the rise and all of the subsequent decline were gun related.  More
specifically, homicides by family members held constant (most cases
involving young children being beaten to death), while homicides by
acquaintances—the majority gang-related—increased substantially (see
Homicide Trends in the United States). "
http://web.bryant.edu/~gcarter/home/Pearson%20Issue%20of%20the%20Month/december%202000/youth%20and%20guns.htm

i.e. gun related youth homicides are primarily related to drug gang
conflicts and the drug war, primarily in black families in the city,
which is diametrically opposed to the stereotypes promulgated on this
list by various european posters that US gun criminals are redneck
whites.

A FRASER INSTITUTE OCCASIONAL PAPER
Number 71 / November 2003
The Failed Experiment
Gun Control and Public Safety in Canada, Australia, England and Wales
Gary A. Mauser
http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/books/files/FailedExperiment.pdf
    "Restrictive firearm legislation has failed to reduce violent
  crime in Australia, Canada, or Great Britain. The
  policy of confiscating guns has been an expensive failure.
  Criminal violence has not decreased. Instead, it continues
  to increase. Unfortunately, policy dictates that the
  current directions will continue and, more importantly,
  it will not be examined critically.
     Only the United States has witnessed such a dramatic
  drop in criminal violence over the past decade. Perhaps it
  is time politicians in the Commonwealth reviewed their
  traditional antipathy to lawfully owned firearms.
     It is an illusion that gun bans protect the public.
  No law, no matter how restrictive, can protect us from
  people who decide to commit violent crimes. Maybe we
  should crack down on criminals rather than hunters and
  target shooters?"

KIDS & GUNS: EXPLOITING TRAGEDY
by Dr. Paul Gallant and Dr. Joanne Eisen
"If one bothers to check the numbers, it becomes apparent that today's
youthful offenders are mostly inner-city, minority gang members. In a
rare lapse into honesty, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) researchers
James Mercy and Mark Rosenberg confirmed this well-kept secret: '...
the current understanding of exposure to and use of firearms by
school-age children is based on studies of inner-city children.'"
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=238

Now, you can go on claiming I don't know what I'm talking about, but,
once again, you'd be entirely wrong. I can cite references for
everything I say, especially when it comes to guns. The reason the guns
topic has been taboo on this list is because, when it comes to debating
the issue, I have proven time and again to be the best 'gunfighter' in
the list, to the point where it is a waste of time, almost, when
newbies like yourself who are not aware of the list history come and
spout uninformed opinions that are entirely out of touch with the facts.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey