[extropy-chat] RE: [wta-politics] Move to ban human cloning likely to divide UN

Reason reason at exratio.com
Thu Oct 30 22:04:54 UTC 2003

The attacks on theraputic cloning are causing great damage to medical
progress in this field:

http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=75791
"President Bush's current limitations on stem cell research and a bill that
would place criminal penalties on scientists who use a particular cloning
process are causing biotechnology corporations to fall apart or flee to
other countries, according to a stem cell scientist."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=534&e=3&u=/ap/20031027/ap_on
_sc/stem_cell_research
"if embryonic stem cell research had not been involved in politics we would
be far ahead of where we are today."

Stem cell research and theraputic cloning are fundamental to all the most
promising advances in regenerative medicine. This is not pie in the sky
science: amazing cures - for Parkinson's, heart disease, bone damage, nerve
damage, burns, liver damage, Crohn's, etc - have been demonstrated in the
labs or in early trials, only to be shut down, banned, or die off from lack
of funding. The current US administration - and many other governments
worldwide - have shown that their members do not care how much suffering
they are causing through their policies. Without activism and opposition, we
can all expect to live shorter, more painful lives: regenerative medicine is
a part of the fast track to extended healthy lives.

Please use the following links to see how you can help to make your voice
heard. I urge you to contact your elected representatives and tell them that
what they are doing (or allowing to happen) is immoral and wrong. Hundreds
of millions of people are suffering and dying today, now, from conditions
that could soon be cured, or might already be curable, if not for these
attacks on theraputic cloning and stem cell research.

A total ban on theraputic cloning in the US is still pending:

http://www.longevitymeme.org/projects/oppose_the_theraputic_cloning_ban.cfm

The European Parliament is still looking at banning all stem cell research:

http://www.longevitymeme.org/projects/oppose_the_european_stem_cell_ban.cfm

More information on the UN global ban on theraputic cloning is here:

http://www.longevitymeme.org/projects/oppose_global_theraputic_cloning_ban.c
fm

The FDA has blocked a working therapy for heart disease that could save an
estimated 50,000 lives worldwide every day:

http://www.longevitymeme.org/projects/protest_fda_interference.cfm

If stem cell therapies and theraputic cloning are banned, you, personally,
will one day die from a disease that would be have been curable. Today, now,
150,000 people will die worldwide, mostly from diseases and conditions that
will soon be curable, or would be curable without these attacks on medical
research. Are you going to let that go, or are you going to stand up and
fight the small faction of politicians who are trying to stop progress?

Reason
http://www.exratio.com

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c
=StoryFT&cid=1066565433416